Ketogenic. Gluten Free. Paleo. Most of us cannot even keep up with the latest diet trend. As a physician, I am no wiser than the next girl regarding if the latest fad diet will help you drop a quick ten before the summer. To be honest, I do not even know what a “macro” is. What I do know is what types of food can keep you healthy and decrease your breast cancer risk. Breast cancer is a complex disease with many contributing factors. Some of these factors you cannot control, like age, family history, and genetics. On the other hand, some factors can be controlled such as diet. Here are the top foods to eat to avoid breast cancer:
1. Fruits and Vegetables: Okay no brainer they are good for you, but it is important to note that a study of more than 91,000 women found that following a diet comprising mainly of plants could cut your risk of developing breast cancer by 15 percent. (Shout out to my Vegan friends.) Studies have found the following fruits and veggies to be most beneficial:
• dark, green, leafy vegetables
• citrus fruit
2. Dietary Fiber: Fiber supports the digestive system and helps flush the bad stuff out! Whole grains and legumes also contain antioxidants, which help prevent many diseases. Eating fiber rich legumes specifically have been linked to a decreased risk in breast cancer.
3. Good Fat: Remember the 90’s when fat was out? I do. I used to gouge on fat-free Snackwells and those chips made with the fat-free oil that also had a horrible GI side effect. Gross. Well now we know a bit more about how good certain fats are for you! These certain good fats are known as “good fats” (clever.) They are found in olive oil, avocados, seeds and nuts and have been linked to breast cancer prevention. Additionally omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon and herring have been associated with a reduced breast cancer risk.
4. Soy: Soy has been associated with decreasing breast cancer risk and has also been linked to lowering the risk of heart disease. Soy is found in foods such as: tofu, tempeh, edamame, soy milk, and soy nuts.
Besides foods there have been a few extras that have been associated with decreased breast cancer risk. These include; Vitamin D (found in the sun and foods such as eggs and cold water fish), Green Tea, and Tumeric (a yellow spice with anti-inflammatory properties.)
There you have it- Top foods to decrease your breast cancer risk. Happy and healthy eating ☺